Monday, June 17, 2013

Bigelow, Lemon Lift Decaf Tea

Bigelow Description:
Sipped throughout the day, tea quenches, soothes, satifies... and delivers healthful antioxidants. We have blended this tea with just the right amount of lemon and a dash of spice. It is deliciously refreshing hot or iced.

Ingredients:
Decaffeinated black tea, natural lemon flavor (soy lecithin), spice

My Review:
Actually, the picture I selected for this one isn't what I bought. I got this in a variety pack containing 3 bags each of 6 decaffeinated teas - a total of 18 bags. According to the label for Lemon Lift each bag contains 1.9 g of tea. The variety pack, however, contains only 1.67 g per bag. At 1.9 g, most people can use a 10-12 ounce cup and get a decently strong cup. At 1.67 g, I highly recommend using a smaller 6-8 ounce cup.

I did not realize there was a difference in the bag sizes. Always check the net weight and divide by the number of bags to see what you are getting, then size your cup accordingly. I did not do this when I grabbed the box. Upon opening the lid, I knew something was up, as it was only 2/3 full. So I grabbed my 6 ounce Corelle cup for this session.

This smells lemony and spicy. Not as spicy as Constant Comment, but spicy. I never add fresh lemon to hot tea, but this does not really smell like a slice of lemon to me. Its aroma, to me, is more lemon grass. It is a pleasant scent.

In the taste, I catch light cinnamon and something else. I cannot single out the taste of the black tea. It is just part of the mix. As in the scent, this does not taste like a fresh slice of lemon in the tea. It is more like a gooey lemon snack crumb cake or something similar. I liked it for that reason. It is more of a dessert treat without the guilt.

When I first began to buy tea, this is one of the four (all Bigelow) that I would grab. It is still an enjoyable cup.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting about the size of the bags! I hadn't considered this either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boycott Bigelow. What is the need for the soy lecithin flavoring? Why not pure tea? Its garbage.

    ReplyDelete