Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Eastern Shore Tea Company, Cherry Blossom

Eastern Shore Tea Description:
A “Vintage Blend” of Keemun, the burgundy of teas, and an exceptionally fine “winey” cherry tea. Very aromatic, it’s nice served as a demitasse after dinner. Flavored black tea. Contains caffeine. 20 Foil wrapped tea bags in our classic white ribbon bag.

My Review:
First off let me say I am not sure the description above is for this tea. It is a best guess. There is no Cherry Blossom tea listed on the website. In fact when you click on any of the bagged tea options it takes you to a Baltimore Coffee & Tea webpage. This tea came my way in the mail from a friend who got it from a friend kind of thing.

This came in a gold metallic envelope. Once opened, it is a tagless, stringless plain white bag. The aroma is like cherry candy.

Steeped with 190F water for 3 or 4 imprecise minutes. The resulting brew appeared more cherry cider than tea like. It is clear with a reddish tint.

The taste in not entirely natural. It is more like a cherry candy but it is pleasant enough. Often teas like this can go horribly wrong and end up being cough syrup. This is better behaved. It reminds me of Jolly Rancher cherry candy. If that appeals to you, this would be a good fit.

I can taste the tea, especially in the aftertaste but only lightly. I was not sure if this was green or black based so I took it easy on the water temperature. Pretty sure it is a black tea. There is no hint of bitterness or astringency so it could have taken hotter water without complaint. I left the bag in the mug the entire time and it never became harsh.

There is not a lot of depth to the taste but it is enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment