Monday, July 27, 2015

Oollo Tea, Milky Jinxuan Oolong

Oollo Tea Description:
The true milky Jinxuan oolong tea with natural cream milk accent and luscious texture. The Alishan family farms tea trees that were bought from our family in 1990. They practice zero pesticide natural farming.

Origin
Varietal: Jinxuan Oolong
Curator: Grandpa Lo
Location: Alishan, Jiayi County, Taiwan
Elevation: 1200-1800m
Harvest: 2014 Spring

Sample provided by Oollo Tea

My Review:
The brief cool spell has ended way too soon. We are back to heat and humidity. O well, at least my air conditioning is working today. Being as I am all cool and comfortable, it must time for tea.

Today's choice is a milky oolong from Taiwan. I haven't had one of these is a long while. The sample cannot be resealed. Sometimes I use tape but more often a paper clip to hold the bag closed. It won't keep long this way and will need to be steeped soon. The label is simple with pertinent brewing instructions.

Opening the bag, I get a sweet scent of cut and dried field grass. It also leans towards a touch of bread and malt, but just a touch.

The tightly rolled leaf is dark and for some strange reason looks like armor to my brain. I think it is because of dull dark grayish tint and the texture looks kind of like a ninja turtle shell. Yeah, even I think that description is a little off the wall.

Into the press it goes along with 195 F water for a 3 minute steep. The range on the label is 1.5 - 5 minutes. That's a pretty wide range.

Before I write about the liquor or the taste, I have got to mention the wet leaf. Look at the size of it! I have trees in my yard that don't have leaves this big. I am impressed.

Most of the leaf after the first steep is still fairly compressed but as you can see some of it couldn't wait to get out of that tight little ball.

The aroma of the wet leaf is lightly roasted, slightly sweet, and vegetal.

On to the brew!

The tea has steeped very clear and very yellow. It is quite a pretty cup.

The first sip is, at first, light in flavor and texture. It starts with a mineral note that is almost metallic. It quickly morphs into a smooth milky texture. It is very thick feeling. Next, I catch a sensation that I can't think of another way to describe except to say prickly. The problem with saying this is it sounds unpleasant but that is not the case here. As you swallow, floral and vine notes emerge.

There is zero bitterness, but it feels kind of drying. As I think about the taste, I realize I caught hints of the roasting. They don't dominate or even jump out at you. I like the subtle layering of the flavors.

Interesting. The more the cup cools the more I am actually catching a milky taste to go with the texture.

Oollo says this the leaf can be re-steeped to make 4 brews.

You can find Oollo Tea, Milky Jinxuan Oolong here

1 comment:

  1. I love milk teas and your review makes milk teas even better! haha How about you try a new milk tea branch? Why don't you try Cha Dao Milk place? I read a review about it on http://www.webbline.com/refreshing-milk-tea-at-cha-dao-tea-place/ and it was a highly recommended tea place :)

    ReplyDelete