Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Savoy Tea Co., Caramel Apple Almond

Savoy Tea Company description:
The sweet goodness of apple with roasted and caramelized almonds and a touch of cinnamon will whisk you back to simpler days. A herbal (because it doesn't contain the actual tea leaf) this is a sweet caffeine-free indulgence for all ages.

Caffeine-Free Ingredients: apple pieces, planed and crushed almonds, cinnamon pieces, beetroot pieces, flavoring

Price: $10/4oz

My Description:
This came in the mail as a surprise gift from a tea friend. It is my first Savoy Tea. I really should start reading the ingredients before I start steeping. This is my first cup of the day and I really need caffeine to kick start me into the morning. Unfortunately this is an herbal tea. I will try not to let the lack of morning buzz influence my review.

The mix is kind of pretty and autumn looking. It is comprised of little light brown chunks of stuff. Dry it smells nicely of almonds. I steeped this with just under boiling water for about 12 minutes per the instructions clearly printed on the label. Savoy gets extra points for the ingredient list and the instructions. Thank you. This brews up somewhere between pink and red in color. It looks festive and dessert-like. The aroma is cinnamon and nuts.

In the sip you notice the almonds throughout. At the front you catch apple that quickly melts into what I think is the beetroot. I do not know what beetroot is or what it is supposed to taste like. Maybe that is what I am tasting, and maybe not. I can’t describe it and can’t even tell you if I like it. Maybe it will grow on me, and maybe not. This is quickly overcome by a nice cinnamon blast. Not the harsh kind. Rather like cinnamon on a Cinnabon roll. Mmmmm Cinnabon.

This would make for a very nice twist on hot cinnamon cider sitting in front of a fireplace late in the evening.

Visit Savoy Tea Company on the web.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds nice but better late at night than early in the morning. I've recently bought a mix of green tea with orange peels and almonds from 'Betjeman and Barton' which does have caffeine but is also quite mellow. Very nice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just Googled beetroot and to my surprise it is just plain ol' beets. Pretty sure I would have enjoyed this herbal much more without them. Everything else about this cup was nice except the funky taste. Might appeal to the beet lovers I guess. Your tea sounds much more to my liking.

      Delete
  2. Tea lover tho I am, I can't handle caffeine late in the day and I've been enjoying the exploration of herbal brews! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete