Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, Bao Zhong

The Persimmon Tree Description:
Our Bao Zhong tea's hand-picked, long, twisted pouchong leaves are slightly oxidized and brew a fresh and floral cup with delicate notes of lilac and pear. This jade-colored tea soothes with every sip and offers a clean, refreshing finish.

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
Bao Zhong is also known as Pouchong. I only recall having this type tea once before in Golden Moon's amazing Coconut Pouchong. This will be my first time tasting Bao Zhong without added flavoring.

The leaf is darker than expected for a slightly oxidized oolong. The dry scent is light and very fresh. I used about 2 1/2 tsp of leaf with 12 oz of water heated to 195 F. This steeped for 3 minutes. The result is a jade colored liquor that slowly turns more honey colored in the cup. The wet leaf has clean light floral oolong aroma.

The sip - Ohh, this is very nice. It is wonderfully sweet. The first notes are very floral, almost rose like, but lilac may fit better. This is not extreme floral like some tieguanyin teas can become. This is light, flowing, and just has a pretty taste. I also catch melon, which is unexpected but good. This feels thick like milk. I am not catching much that reminds me of green tea, neither is it a strong oolong, though it does lean more that direction. Bao Zhong is kind of its own thing and it does it well.

I love most types of unflavored tea from white to puerh and most points in between. Oolongs however, are kind of hit or miss with me. I am not sure why. I see no pattern in the ones I do like. This one is in the extreme like column.

You can find Bao Zhong here.

About The Persimmon Tree:
(From their website) The Persimmon Tree® offers our customers some of the world's finest organic teas and botanicals. Not only are most of our fresh high quality teas from around the globe hand-blended and organically grown, some of our teas are also fair trade, ensuring fair working conditions, fair wages, and a better life for tea workers from countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.

At The Persimmon Tree®, our mission is simple: to enrich people's lives through the pleasure of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment