Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, White Chai

The Persimmon Tree Description:
Our white chai is perfectly blended with white tea, chai spices, lemongrass, coconut, fruit pieces and peppercorn for a delicious bold taste. It comprises sweetness from the fruit pieces fused with a bold kick from chai spices and peppercorn.

Ingredients:
Ginger Root, Lemon Grass, Cinnamon Bark, White Tea, Pineapple Pieces, Cloves, Dried Coconut, Cardamom Pods, Red Peppercorn, Apple Pieces, Natural Spice Flavor, Natural Cinnamon Flavor

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
This is a new arrival at The Persimmon Tree. So of course I need to try it. I have stated on The Everyday Tea Blog before that I am not a big fan of chai. I don't hate it. I just never crave it. This one is a little different. It has a white tea base instead of the usual black. I love white tea, so here's hoping the difference tips the scales.

Opening the tin, I see an interesting collection of pieces and leaves. The cardamom and cloves tickle my nose while I look. The first to catch my attention are the pineapple pieces and the red peppercorns. Next I notice the lemongrass and white tea. There are many more smaller components that I can't readily identify.

I used 185 F water and a 3 minute steep in my Bodum press. As it is brewing I concluded I have way under leafed. White tea is light and fluffy. It takes more leaf than black tea to equal the same weight. On top of that there is a lot of other stuff in the blend.

The brew turned out bright yellow and on the cloudy side. The wet leaf is intensely spicy scented. The mug is likewise spicy but not over the top intense.

The sip is at first peppery with a bite. It isn't adding heat, just spice. As my senses adjust and the cup cools a little the flavor rounds out. Now I am tasting the combination of ginger, cardamom, and clove. More adjusting and I catch faint wisps of apple lightly coated in cinnamon. I cannot single out the pineapple or the lemongrass, which is fine by me. They do seem to be filling in between the other notes. I also can't say I am really able to catch the white tea. It is possible that is due to under leafing. The coconut adds just a touch of creaminess to the mug.

OK, chai is never going to be a favorite type tea for me. I do find the absence of black tea makes this far more enjoyable to my tastes. This is the second white tea based chai I have tried. They are different from each other and I like both more than a traditional black chai. The spices in this one are bold but well thought out.

You can find White Chai here.

No comments:

Post a Comment