Friday, February 28, 2014

Teavivre, Fengqing Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Cake

Teavivre Description:
This raw pu-erh cake is grown and produced in Fengqing, Yunnan, which is the origin place of DianHong black tea. This Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Cake is harvest in spring of 2013. Between March to May, after harvesting the fresh leaves, tea workers will process them: fixation, rolling, drying, sifting, and then store the leaves in carton boxes.
As the workers use iron pan for fixation, and roll the tea with their hands, the leaves do not have good looks as machine-made leaves. Yet regarding on quality, this Wild Tree Yesheng Pu-erh Cake is a green food from nature, in the mists and clouds on high mountains. It is a tea worth being in your collection list.

Sample provided by Teavivre

My Review:
When I got up this morning I was thinking I needed to spend some time with a puerh. The Morning had other plans. It is now afternoon and I had decided I would just review whatever caught my eye. Turns out my eyes were in agreement, this is still to be a puerh day.

When I opened the sample I was stopped by the aroma. I checked the label. Yep, it is a puerh. This raw tea's scent is fresh like hay and green tea with a hint of citrus. Maybe the most inviting puerh aroma I have experienced.

The leaf has a lot of green mixed with the darker leaf. My sample also has some orange leaf in the mix that do not notice in the picture.

I used my press to steep this in my hybrid brewing style. It isn't eastern gaiwan brewing and it isn't western style either. I used a cup of boiling water and a one minute steep. The liquor is yellow gold in color and quite clear. The wet leaf has a scent that is kind of a cross between minty and anise with citrus and vegetal green plant notes.

In sipping I can tell this is still very young. It is not bright metallic like many sheng. Instead, it is dusty and musty tasting. It has an earthy taste like the smell of potatoes as you dig them out of the ground - not so much the potato itself but the earth and roots that surrounds it.  

I am looking forward to more cups from this session. I am also curious to see how this will change with time. It is already a good cup and as Teavivre says, in their description, worth being in your collection.

Visit the Teavivre website.

No comments:

Post a Comment