Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, Assam Gold

The Persimmon Tree Description:
This smooth, malty infusion is the perfect alternative to coffee. Assam Gold can be steeped multiple times while retaining its flavor. Golden in color, this import from Northern India is a thick, comfortable black tea brew that warms and energizes after a tough, bitter, cold day.

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
I opened up the tin and was met with a delicate aroma of malt and grain. Delicate is not an association I normally make with Assam. I removed a scoop of leaf, about 5 g, enough for a 10-12 oz mug of tea. The leaf has a lot of golden buds in it. According to The Persimmon Tree that is not the meaning of the name rather it is supposed to brew a deep golden color. The organic leaf appears to be of orthodox production and even if it is not it is definitely not CTC/dust.

I placed the leaf in my press with 195 F water and steeped for three minutes. The brew was bronze or caramel when poured but appeared more red/orange in the mug. The leaf scent is far more bold than the dry aroma.

The sip is moderately brisk as an Assam should be I think. Truthfully,  I often flinch a little as I take my first sip due to years of trying to like poor quality tea. There is no need to flinch here. It is very pleasant on its own, yet stout enough to stand up to milk and sugar. Only on the rarest of occasions (like frappucinos) will I add milk. I did add Splenda after taking a few sips because I happen to like it in tea, not because it needed it.

This has a good astringent bite without being bitter. I suspect it could become so if steeped too long or with too hot of water. It is slightly malty though maybe not as much as I expected based on the aroma. This is kind of a simple, don't have to think, but good tasting tea. To my way of thinking that makes it a good satisfying morning mug.

You can find Assam Gold here.

About The Persimmon Tree:
(From their website) The Persimmon Tree® offers our customers some of the world's finest organic teas and botanicals. Not only are most of our fresh high quality teas from around the globe hand-blended and organically grown, some of our teas are also fair trade, ensuring fair working conditions, fair wages, and a better life for tea workers from countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.

At The Persimmon Tree®, our mission is simple: to enrich people's lives through the pleasure of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment