Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, Sunshine

The Persimmon Tree Description:
Sunshine blooming tea is a delicately hand-crafted blooming green tea that unfolds to reveal an exotic golden flower, with essences of lychee and cantaloupe. This green tea's delightful aroma and fruity essence is great any time of day. To appreciate this tea's blossoming beauty, infuse in large, clear glassware.

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
I don't normally try to take the pictures for this blog because, frankly, I am not good at it. Even though the light source should have been higher I kind of liked this one so I used it.

My sample tin came packed with 6 pods. They are bigger than many of the flowering teas I have tried. According to The Persimmon Tree, each pod should be placed in enough water for two cups - to me that means 16 oz.

The recommending temperature for this tea is listed at 180 F. With a steep time between 5 and 7 minutes. I used my wife's supposed 4 cup coffee pot which holds 16 oz. Side note - what coffee drinker do you know that uses 4 oz cups? Answer - zero! But that is beside the point.

Once the heated water was added to the pot, the bloom began to bubble and expand. A few of the leaves came loose but not a lot. The marigold inside opened up nicely and made a pretty display. The tea itself is golden in color. I used the picture taken by my wife. She did a good job I think. Maybe too good. The lime deposit around the chrome ring detracts a little from the beauty, but that is the price we pay using our county water.

I have to make an honest statement at this point. I don't drink a lot of blooming teas because generally speaking they just aren't that tasty. I really dislike the flavor of globe amaranth. They are pretty, so mostly they are used for the display.

Another honest statement: Sunshine actually smells pretty. Better yet, I thought the taste was as fresh and different as the scent. The Persimmon Tree says this tastes of lychee and cantaloupe. The melon I get quickly. Lychee, I really don't know what it tastes like. My best attempt to describe the taste of this tea is melon with flowers and the lightest touch of something that reminds me maybe of clove or clover. 

My wife and I drank the first pot straight down and quickly agreed to make another using the same bloom. How often does that happen? Correct answer is never before. 

That my friends is the best recommendation I can give you for this one. We wanted more. The second pot disappeared almost as quickly. I am pretty certain it would have gone a third pot but we did not have time to try it. Best tasting blooming tea I have tried.

You can find Sunshine here.  

About The Persimmon Tree:
(From their website) The Persimmon Tree® offers our customers some of the world's finest organic teas and botanicals. Not only are most of our fresh high quality teas from around the globe hand-blended and organically grown, some of our teas are also fair trade, ensuring fair working conditions, fair wages, and a better life for tea workers from countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.

At The Persimmon Tree®, our mission is simple: to enrich people's lives through the pleasure of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Organic Tea Nespresso

    ReplyDelete