Saturday, May 24, 2014

Ocean Of Tea, Chamomile

Ocean Of Tea Description:
Hailing from the beautiful country of Egypt, chamomile tea is derived from the tiniest and prettiest chamomile flower. Delicate in nature, bright with yellow color and innocent as can be, these chamomile flowers make for a calming cup of tea. These blossoms are harvested and dried to make this delicious tea that comes to you complete with whole dried chamomile flowers. Golden in color and light in taste, this is a gentle tea for those looking for a caffeine free treat. Slightly sweet with apple undertones and floral scents, this could be the tea for someone looking for a light tea with a hint of honey. Forget the store-bought, pre-sealed packets that cannot possibly deliver the depth of flavor that this chamomile tea can. Try it for the first time, and it will be the only chamomile tea you will be hooked on. This is a caffeine free tea.

Sample provided by Ocean Of Tea

My Review:
I am having a very hectic month. There is so much to do and I feel like none of it is getting accomplished. The last couple days I have made it a priority to finish a few things before starting something new. One of those priorities was to get this chamomile tea reviewed. I have been sitting on it for a few weeks, waiting for a calm moment. It's not happening, so I am making one right in the middle of the day. Crazy, I know.

I really do like the simplicity of Ocean of Teas sample labels. It tells you what you need to know without a lot of stuff getting in the way. I opened the resealable pouch and could immediately catch the slightly tart and sweet scent of chamomile. It is almost apple with hints of honey. The flowers seem smaller than I remember but it has been a while since I last relaxed with a cup.

I used a Finum basket, though a pot, or my press, would work equally well. Water heated to 210 F was added to the cup and I steeped for 5 minutes. Now that I am taking my own pictures of the dry leaf, I need to figure out a lightbox, or at least an attractive spot, to capture the cup pictures. I am setting the plate full of leaf on my laptop and snapping the pics. Pretty sure that is not the best idea for a full cup. Anyway, this brews a beautiful golden cup that lightens the spirit by putting thoughts of sunshine in my head.

I'm not sure why I don't drink chamomile more often. This is very tasty. It is sort of like apples along with flowery notes and a touch of spice. I am also getting a slight saltiness and minute traces of mineral. I used filtered water but it is possible the last notes are from our water. It is a very nice cup of warm relaxing chamomile.

For fun, about halfway through the cup I added a small splash of sugar free vanilla syrup to the cup. I buy it at Walmart on the coffee and tea aisle. The result was interesting. On the rare occasion that I drink chamomile I usually use a vanilla bean chamomile. I realize this syrup probably contains no real vanilla bean. I preferred this herbal without the syrup. If you have actual vanilla bean pods, go ahead and experiment, otherwise I think you will find this much more pleasing without additions.

Visit the Ocean Of Tea website.

No comments:

Post a Comment