Friday, May 23, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, Chocolate Banana

 The Persimmon Tree Description:
This wonderful Chocolate Banana dessert tea comprises chocolate, banana, rooibos and pink peppercorns blended with pieces of apple. This favorite flavor duo satisfies cravings at less than 5 calories per cup, and tastes great hot or iced. Try it with a little honey or rock sugar for a real after-dinner treat.

Ingredients:
Organic Fair Trade Rooibos, Organic Cacao Nibs, Organic Apple Bits, Organic Banana Chips, Pink Peppercorns, Chocolate, Natural Flavors

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
I really don't remember the last time I reviewed a rooibos tisane. Made from a South African bush this is a caffeine free herbal drink and not a true tea. Perfect for late night. I just couldn't resist the allure of chocolate and banana. Scooping some leaf out to examine I immediately notice the pink peppercorns. They add a pretty attractive note to the mix. I see from the ingredients that it also contains apple bits. Bigger pieces of fruit may have worked their way down into the tin as I am only seeing a few smallish pieces in the leaf. Actually I am thinking that may be the cocao nibs.

I used a Finum basket as rooibos is finely cut and makes a clean up nightmare of my press. Boiling water was added for a 4 minute steep. As soon as the water hit the leaf I caught the distinctive and nearly impossible to describe scent of rooibos. It is a kind of cedar wood saw dust, sweet, medicinal, aroma. That is my best effort at putting words to it.

The cup is dark red and sort of reminds be of root beer. The taste is.... well, I am not getting chocolate or banana. On the other hand it is not rooibos flavored either. What I am tasting is lightly peppery. Not spicy hot, just light pepper. I can taste a mellow rooibos without the harsh throat scratching that often comes with 'red tea'. It sort of reminds me of sassafras tea or flat root beer. It is a pleasant enough drink for a rooibos. Hmmm. I easily finished the cup but this is very strange as it is not agreeing with reviews others have posted.

Based on my on my observation that the leaf seemed to lack dried fruit pieces, I am going to pour this out of the tin into a bowl and mix it up. My thinking is the fruit has settled. Every one else seems to be getting banana flavor and light chocolate. I want to be one of the cool kids too.

Now looking at the full bowl, my thinking is how do they pack all that leaf into those little tins? Really, I am not seeing a lot of bigger sized fruit pieces even after mixing. My understanding is fruit pieces added to the leaf are just visual anyway, as the flavor does not come from them. Again looking at the bowl, I was afraid it would not all fit back in the tin but it did.

Round two, with new mixed leaf, boiling water, and a 4 minute steep. The leaf aroma and dark root beer colored brew are the same. Mixing has changed the flavor slightly. I do get a light warm chocolate and hints of banana. The pepperiness has moved was into the background. The apple seems to be adding just a slight tartness at the end of the sip. None of these flavors are bold. The interesting thing about this blend for me is how the additions have tamed the rooibos. Yes, it has the aroma of red tea but the flavor is pleasantly mellow. This is not the decadently flavored dessert I was expecting, rather this is a quiet mellow moment sip. I easily finished my second cup as well.

You can find Chocolate Banana Rooibos here.  

2 comments:

  1. :-) I just can't imagine liking this one, even if it did taste like advertised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rooibos and banana are two flavors that don't appeal to everyone. I thought it sounded like fun. Maybe it is the minion in me, Ba-na-na.

      Delete