Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Clear Glass Teapot

Teapot with mug for size reference
Enjoying Tea Description:
This beautiful teapot made entirely of heat resistant borosilicate glass is the perfect tool for enjoying loose tea. The roomy removable filter allows tealeaves to expand and provide full infusion of the leaves. This is a good glass teapot to show off the beautiful color of your tea. It is also an excellent vessel to display the blossoming of art tea.

My Review:
Welcome to today's review of my new crystal teapot. This is the Calming Sea Filtering Glass Teapot by Vistabello Glassware. I bought it on sale from the Enjoying Tea website. I purchased this at the same time as my yixing teapot. Each were well wrapped in their own boxes inside a single larger shipping box.

I have wanted something like this for a while to properly prepare blooming teas. My French Press is short and wide, so either the blooms lack sufficient depth for a proper display or I am brewing more than I want to drink at one sitting. I have been afraid to use a dinner glass as I was concerned the shock of the near boiling water would cause it to shatter. Until now our best choice has been my wife's 4 cup Mr Coffee carafe but it is not very pretty to look at. This teapot is very nice looking.


Teapot with lid and glass infuser
The Calming Sea Teapot is made of borosilicate glass, just like my press, so I feel safe using it. The website says this is dishwasher and microwave safe. I'll take their word for it as I won't be doing either. It has a clear glass infuser for use with loose tea though I likely will not use the infuser and instead strain the tea as I pour.

The teapot is very lightweight. So much so, at first I checked to make sure it was glass. It is also very small. The website lists it as 450 ml or 15.3 oz. For ease of handling and pouring, I think 12 oz is more realistic leaving a little airspace at the top. This teapot is the perfect size for my needs.

The opening is just large enough that I can clean the interior will relative ease. The spout is nicely shaped. I spilled some the first time I used it as tilted it too quickly causing it to leak around the lid. If I pour slowly and evenly at first, not a drop is lost.

So far this has performed very well and I am quite pleased with the results.

A word about ordering - when you buy a teapot or teaset from Enjoying Tea they include a free sample of tea. It is randomly selected and placed in the shipping box. The box is filled with shipping peanuts. Don't be a doofus like me and not look through the box carefully. Fortunately I did not throw away the box full of peanuts. Once I realized there was supposed to be a sample (OK Enjoying Tea told me so in an email response to my query about the free tea offer) I was able to find the two neat little tins that came with my two teapot order. It is a good day when you find free tea in your order.

No comments:

Post a Comment