Thursday, June 19, 2014

Teavivre, 2014 Nonpareil Te Gong Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Teavivre Description:
The historic Huang Shan Mao Feng is well-known as one of the ten famous Chinese tea. This Ming Qian Huang Shan Mao Feng is a kind of pre-ming green tea. Pre-ming tea has strict requirement of the picking time and its making standard, thus the bird-tongue appearance could been perfect formed, as well as the brisk flavor. Both of which are favored by tea lovers.

Sample provided by Teavivre

My Review:
I tried to review this years production several days ago but quickly learned the pollens and other allergens in the air had robbed me of most of my sense of smell. This was good but it was just green tea. From previous experience, I know better. Hopefully today I am capable of giving this the attention it deserves.

I have reviewed Nonpareil Haung Shan Mao Feng before in 2013. This is the 2014 Nonpareil version. If you click on my pictures they are supposed to expand. I think my dry leaf picture reveals a tea as beautiful as any Bai Mu Dan (white peony). The leaves are small and have a fresh malty aroma.

It is beginning to look like my borosilicate glass teapot is quickly becoming a favorite for teas that I want to capture with a camera. To the teapot I added the leaf and water heated to 185 F. I let it steep for around 3 1/2 minutes.

As you can see the liquor has only the slightest yellow tint in the pot, although as it cools in the mug it does become more honey in color. I used a strainer when pouring to keep the small leaves and buds out of my cup. There would have been several in the cup without it, not that I would mind.

The leaves of this varietal  are very small, yet whole and fresh with many buds. The aroma of the wet leaf is so heavily steamed vegetable. I always call it spinach but it probably isn't. It is green and intoxicating.

The sip is very crisp with a good bite, edging on bitter, and an instant drying sensation. That doesn't necessarily sound inviting but if you have had Mao Feng before you might better understand this is a very good tea. Beyond the immediate reaction the vegetal green leaf taste is quite evident and is lightly buttery. It is accompanied by a nuttiness others call chestnut. I really need to get some chestnuts and catch this sensation for myself.

I have described this in a way that makes the taste sound larger than is actually in the mug. This is a mild gentle cup whose intensity is in its ability to draw you in and hold your attention.

Visit the Teavivre website.

No comments:

Post a Comment