Monday, April 16, 2012

Big Train, Inc. Mystic Chai Vanilla

A blend of black teas, exotic spices, and vanilla from Madagascar. This is a powdered mix that comes in a 2 pound can. We buy it at our Sam’s Club. The mix looks very similar to Nestle’s Quick. The scent is vanilla chai. Yeah, it smells good. The first ingredient listed is sugar, which makes me a little nervous. Tea is listed somewhere later after non fat milk and non dairy creamer, which also makes me a little nervous.

There is a measuring cup included, but having some experience with these mixes I used about half the recommended one scoop. One scoop is 140 calories. My cup should be about 60. Forgetting this was a mix, and it did not have to steep, I boiled the water. That meant it mixed easily but also that I had to wait a long while for it to cool enough to start sipping.

This is lightly spiced and very milky feeling. It is sweet but not overly so, at least with using half a scoop. The vanilla is pleasant and not overdone. The tea flavor is a bit hidden but comes through lightly in the aftertaste.

I am not really a chai drinker so I can’t tell you if this is a good example of the genre. What I can say is it is better than Nestle’s Quick or instant hot chocolate mix in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this and just had to add this link to the *other* Big Train

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wf-j8CfsyY

    Enjoy a nice cup of Yunnan Black tea whilst watching this :)

    ReplyDelete