Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bigelow, Earl Grey Decaffeinated

Bigelow Description:
A really fine cup of tea is one of life's true pleasures. We heartily recommend Earl Grey Decaffeinated for the enjoyment it will bring to your tea drinking. This delicately scented, aristocratic blend is an international favorite.

My Review:
Bigelow. Just the mention of the name brings a nostalgic smile to my face. It immediately makes me think Earl Grey, the second tea I ever bought. It is also the real start of my lifelong obsession - some might say addiction. I suspect I am not alone.

This is a bagged tea as have been every Bigelow tea I have ever sipped. I have never seen it in loose leaf. This one also is decaffeinated.

I have finally accepted Bigelow only uses 1.66g in each bag opposed to the 2g they used in my youth. So I chose a smaller vessel than I normally use. I prepared this in a cup with 8oz of just off boiling water. I left the bag in the mug for old times sake. Deal with it.

The brew is dark and fills my senses with even more of the citrusy bergamot aroma that was present in the dry bag. Just like I remembered it.

The sip is a satisfying cup of Earl Grey. The bergamot is smooth and delicious. Even with the bag still in the cup, there is no hint of bitterness. I am amazed, I can taste the tea. The decaffeination process takes a healthy bite out of any tea. The tea bag fannings here do suffer but honestly it is still pretty good.

If you are an Earl Grey fan and in need of a decaf version, this bagged tea is better than it has to be. In fact I rather enjoyed it. Thanks for living up to my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment