Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Persimmon Tree, Cinnamon Orange

The Persimmon Tree Description:
An aromatic combination of premium black loose leaf tea, spicy cinnamon, pungent cloves and tangy orange peel.

Ingredients:
Premium Black Loose-Leaf Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Orange peel

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
I wanted some black tea to start my day. I grabbed this one. Cinnamon Orange - at first I thought that is kind of an odd combination then I thought yeah but it just sounds good.

I opened the tin and orange and cinnamon filled the air. The tin was stuffed to the top with orange peel and pieces of cinnamon. This was surrounded by a sturdy looking black tea leaf.

I didn't notice until after I had steeped that The Persimmon Tree recommends a steeping temperature of 195 F. I used 2 tsp in my press with boiling (212 F) water. Oops. I steeped for 3 minutes. The resulting brew is deep orangey red. The wet leaf scent kind of reminds me of a Christmas potpourri without any pine cones of course.

I was half expecting a Constant Comment type taste with this but that is not what is in the cup. The orange and cinnamon blend together very tightly and strangely produce what I first perceive as hot apple cider. As I stop to think it through I realize it is orange. The cinnamon with a light tartness adds to the illusion of cider. There is a touch of clove present but it is subdued. I am getting a little dryness from astringency in the black tea which may or may not be due to my using boiling water. This is not bitter or what I would call brisk.

This is certainly not unpleasant but as a morning tea it is not really doing it for me. I think this might work really well around an evening fire. Be aware it is not decaffeinated.

You can find Cinnamon Orange here.

About The Persimmon Tree:
(From their website) The Persimmon Tree® offers our customers some of the world's finest organic teas and botanicals. Not only are most of our fresh high quality teas from around the globe hand-blended and organically grown, some of our teas are also fair trade, ensuring fair working conditions, fair wages, and a better life for tea workers from countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.

At The Persimmon Tree®, our mission is simple: to enrich people's lives through the pleasure of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment