Monday, June 22, 2015

Wymm Tea, Jingmai Sheng Pu-erh

Wymm Tea Description:
This is a sheng pu-erh that brews bright golden liquor with a heady orchid aroma, and can last for around 15 steeps. First spring leaves make the best-valued tea because of the concentrated nutrients, and the infused liquid emanates strongest aroma and flavour. Picked from the first spring of 2011, our Jingmai pu-erh possesses opulent aroma and intense flavour that is reminiscence of wilderness of Jingmai.

Sample provided by Wymm Tea

My Review:
Today's selection is a raw pu-erh picked from ancient trees in 2011. The trees are very old. The tea is fairly young. Sheng, at least youg sheng, has a tendency to have a sharp bite. Let's see what this one brings.

The leaf itself is gorgeous. At least to my eyes. When I unwrapped the paper, exposing the loose leaf (sample is loose, a bing is available), I was immediately impressed with how fresh it looked. I know it is dried and brown, but it looks so alive. The silvery buds along with the tans and lighter shades have kind of a green cast to them.

I really did not detect an aroma off the dry leaf.

The entire sample (6 grams) was added to the pot and boiling water added. I don't bother with rinses. The first steep was at 10 seconds. I am preparing this in small amounts in my press to fill my gaiwan for drinking. Why didn't I just use the gaiwan to start with? I have no idea.

Now I catch an aroma off the leaf. It is floral and leafy. It has some of the young sheng aquarium water scent - not fishy, but like a living watery habitat.

The liquor is clear and a nice honey color.

Bracing myself for the taste, I quickly relax. Ooh, this is nice. I was expecting a bright metallic bite. Not even close. The first thing I notice is a light hint of a smoky edge. Then the flavor springs out like, well, spring. It is a really lovely floral. It is not alarmingly so. I detect no rough edges, or off flavors. It feels thick on the tongue. It leans slightly towards sweet. The second cup is pretty much the same. I am noticing very little astringency which is unusual for the shengs I have tried.

Cup 3, 4, & 5 introduce a shot of pepperiness. The smoke note is now moved to the aftertaste and remains very light. The flavor is now more vegetal and floral and the astringency has picked up a tiny amount but remains far more controlled than I am use to tasting in sheng. An apricot note is also present in the sip. The aftertaste is floral.

As usual for me, I prefer the development of the flavors as the cup cools.

Wymm Tea says this will go 15 steeps. I'll not be able to find out today.

Bottom line: I found this to be a very pleasant and easy to drink sheng.  

You can find Wymm Tea Jingmai Sheng here.


No comments:

Post a Comment