Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Good Earth, Pomegranate Burst

Good Earth Description:
Sure we all have responsibilities, but that doesn’t mean we have to settle into a routine. Break things up with the tingling intensity of Pomegranate Burst™. Blended with the goodness of green tea and the unexpected tart flavors of pomegranate and cherry, one sip will be enough to shake up an ordinary day.

Ingredients:
Green tea, hibiscus, elderberries, licorice root, natural pomegranate flavor with other natural flavors, raspberries, sweet blackberry leaf, natural cherry flavor with other natural flavors, citric acid, natural flavor, pomegranate flakes (pomegranate, corn starch, maltodextrin, lecithin), steviol glycosides (stevia).

Sample provided by Good Earth

My Review:
Lately I have been scurrying around like the proverbial headless chicken. Wow. I just need to slow down, catch my breath, and have some tea.

Today, I am once again having a simple quick and convenient cup from a tea bag. I love pomegranate tea, so I have high expectations with this one.

The box contains 18 individually wrapped tea bags. Each contains a little over 2g. I always try to point out the weight as many companies skimp on the leaf, making a good cup difficult if not impossible.

Opening the envelope I catch the first notes of pomegranate and I like what I am smelling. Then I catch cherry notes and it drifts off to somewhere between Kool-Aid and medicinal. I heated the water to 200F and steeped for 4 minutes.  As it steeped the red flowed from the bag. Back during Halloween this would have made for some great, and obligatory, vampire and blood comments.

Tasting... Hmmm... I don't dislike it. It is more of a I wish it were different kind of thing. Personal preference here, and I usually try to keep personal taste out of it, I wish this did not contain hibiscus. There I said it. I find its tartness and very presence unnecessary. I get they are trying to give the illusion the tartness is from the cherry but, well, just no.

I also wish it did not contain stevia. Stevia is bitter. If you like it fine. In some blends I like it, here it is too much. Too much sweet and bitter aftertaste. I prefer to add my own sweetener (Splenda for me) when I think it will improve the taste. Adding my sweetener now makes this way too sweet.

The negatives aside, the pomegranate and cherry actually mix well together. So the core taste is pleasant but I feel Good Earth is going to find a very limited group who will appreciate this cup. That is kind of a shame as they have good ideas here, they just need to learn to edit.  

Check for Good Earth tea in your local Walmart or Kroger store. You can also order direct from Good Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment