Sunday, May 13, 2012

Starbuck’s Green Tea Frappuccino Blended Creme

A unique combination of Premium Matcha green tea, lightly sweetened and blended with milk and ice, topped with whipped cream (optional).


My wife loves Starbuck’s. I hate coffee. Hate is a strong word, but I really don’t even like the smell of the stuff. In the interest of compromise I have tried many Tazo teas while she is satisfying her coffee craving. Tea in a paper cup that has been prepared by coffee people is not my idea of yum but at least I try.

So, one day she says I should try a green tea frap. I’m thinking iced green tea with milk is going to taste like crappucino. Turns out I actually like this. Of course part of the reason is probably because these really aren’t that good for you. There is 430 calories in a 16oz cup. Sure you can save a 100 calories by not adding the whipped crème. That is still a lot of calories. You can also select whole, 2% or skim milk though the difference between whole milk and skim milk is only 20 calories.

So what’s in this that adds all those calories? Sugar, lot’s of sugar. They call it lightly sweetened, yet the calories of three cans of soda are in this thing. On the other hand that is about what one would expect when ordering a chocolate milk shake, right?

Besides the milk, sugar, and ice, there is green tea matcha. This is a powder made from pulverizing the entire tea leaf. Matcha, at least this matcha, has a bit more of an intense flavor than normal Tazo green tea. It also packs a pretty good caffeine punch at 70mg/16oz serving.

With the milk, the consistency is more like a shake than an Icee. It is a sweet, creamy, icy, green tea delight. At least I think it is fun. You have to be careful to drink it slowly. Yeah I got brain freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment