Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Persimmon Tree, Berries 'n' Cream

The Persimmon Tree Description:
Our Berries 'n' Cream tea takes a rooibos base and transforms it into a vanilla truffle-like treat with succulent black currents, creamy white chocolate blossoms, and organic hibiscus. This naturally caffeine-free tea makes the perfect after-dinner dessert tea when sweetened with a little rock sugar.

Ingredients:
Organic Fair Trade Rooibos, Organic Hibiscus, Organic Currants, White Chocolate, Natural Flavors

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree

My Review:
I stated in my review of Detox Blend that my wife chose this month's The Persimmon Tree offerings to be reviewed. She loves herbal and rooibos. I am a little stand offish and have to be won over.

When she told me Berries 'n' Cream I thought ooooh, strawberries and cream. Then I read the ingredients. I have had exactly one black currant tea. I did not like it. Hibiscus is an ingredient that usually is overdone and too tart for my tastes. About now, I'm wondering what have I gotten myself into? Man, I'm trying to keep a neutral attitude going into this but it is going to be easy.

I removed the lid and took a whiff. Hmmm. This is a rooibos but the scent is vanilla and berry or possibly cherry. There is no vanilla listed in the ingredients. It has to be the combination of white chocolate, black currant, and hibiscus yet... I think I might, sort of, kind of, like it.

Looking at the leaf, the rooibos is easy to spot. Also visible is the hibiscus and black currant. What isn't showing up in my picture is the white chocolate. Had I realized this while taking the picture, I would have rearranged the scene. There really is little curls of white chocolate but I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

I used a Finum basket, to catch the rooibos, placed in my cup as boiling water was added. The covered steep was 5 minutes.

The result is a dark brew that at first resembles coffee. As the cup is tilted and the brew spread out, it takes on a more reddish purple tint.

Notice there is surface particles. At first I thought some of the rooibos made it through the mesh. Stirring with a spoon and looking closer, I am pretty sure it is from the white chocolate.

The aroma is much like the dry scent.

My first sip is pleasant but a little lighter than I would have guessed. I added some sweetener to see what would happen. I'll tell you what happened - Awesomeness! Ya, that surprises me too.

Once sweetened this came alive. The black currant and the hibiscus combine to give a taste that I can't nail down but drifts between blueberry, cherry, and grape. I do taste just the slightest tartness but honestly it works here. This is creamy, probably from the white chocolate. I do taste the rooibos but it is not the main note. It adds to the overall mix with a touch of spicy sweetness.

I think I can best sum up my perception of this blend by telling you that I went into this review not expecting much from these ingredients. I thought, I'll try to keep an open mind but will settle on just getting through it. I ended up gulping the last half of the cup down and can't wait to have another. Surprisingly delicious.

You can find The Persimmon Tree Berries 'n' Cream here.

No comments:

Post a Comment