Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Persimmon Tree, Detox Blend

The Persimmon Tree Description:
When over-indulgence becomes overwhelming, this mild tea takes a hot cupful of natural, organic botanicals to cure your body of its ills. Fused with an array of healing herbs and botanicals, the tisane warms you up, dissolves you of drowsiness, and puts your senses on the path to recovery. Let the Detox Blend recover all the aspects of your body and mind.

Ingredients:
Organic Coriander Seed, Organic fennel Seed, Organic Milk Thistle, Organic Chicory Root, Organic Burdok Root, Organic Dandelion Root

Sample provided by The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

My Review:
Today we are going decaf. I let my wife select this month's offerings from The Persimmon Tree because she cannot tolerate caffeine except in extremely small amounts. She even avoids chocolate to make sure she doesn't encounter more than she can handle.

The list of spices, in particular coriander seed, is what caught her attention with this herbal. She has already been into the tin 3 times. I think that means she likes it. Of course she refuses to write the review :)

Left on my own, I will attempt to review this, though I am out of my realm. Popping the lid I catch a whiff of fennel and something much darker and richer - it is almost coffee like.

Removing a scoop of leaf, I recognize fennel from pizza, I also recognize coriander seed. I picked one up and tasted. It was kind of floral, almost soapy, and reminded me of a light lavender taste. Everything else in the mix is a mystery to me.

I used a Finum basket placed in a mug and poured boiling water over the herbs and spices. The steep time was 5 minutes.

The result is a very dark brew. It looks like a cup of coffee and smells like pizza :) Seriously, my brain takes the fennel seed and some bready elements and thinks it is time to eat.

The taste is fennel and coriander. It leans heavier on the fennel. The coriander is more hit and run. Beyond this, I taste something darker, richer, and more earthy. I am really not coming up with words to identify the taste. It has a slight edge but I can't tell where it originates. Ultimately, to me this tastes like what it is, a cup of seeds and spices.

I didn't mind the taste but I don't see me craving it either. As I said though, my wife has been into it 3 times and has claimed the rest as her own. The difference here is she loves herbals and I love camellia sinensis leaves otherwise known as tea.

If herbals are your thing, you can find The Persimmon Tree Detox Blend here.


No comments:

Post a Comment