Thursday, December 6, 2012

Two Leaves Tea Company, Organic Darjeeling

Two Leaves Description:
Strong but sensitive -we like that in a tea. These organic, golden orange pekoe tea leaves are grown on the rolling hills of Darjeeling, India. This rich drink evokes the quality tea from India, and we think its subtle astringency pairs perfectly with dessert.
Price: $7.95 for 15 sachets. That's $0.53 per sachet. It will steep twice reducing the cost to $0.26/mug

This sachet is from the Complete Sampler Pack provided by Two Leaves.

My Review:
After trying the Assam, which I didn’t think I would like but did, I am really looking forward to this one. I do love a good Darjeeling. This is labeled as whole leaf black tea and that is obvious even looking through the clear outer wrap into the sachet. The instructions don’t list a water temperature so I went with just beginning to boil. Darjeeling can be a bit fussy about temperature. The recommended steep time is 4 minutes. I forgot to set my timer, so, lets call it 4 minutes… sort of.

Removing the biodegradable sachet reveals it is swollen to the max and extremely stuffed with leaf. I don’t really detect an aroma in the air. If I put my nose close to the cup it is lightly fruity. I take my first sip and oh my, this seriously tastes like a malted milk ball. I looked through other reviews of this tea on the web and no else noted this flavor. Even so, that’s what I got. The Muscat grape taste I was expecting comes in late in the sip and lingers in the after taste. There is no bitterness. I don’t detect a lot of astringency, as a bite, yet is a little drying. While it is hot, I don’t know I would be able identify it as Darjeeling had I not seen the label. Once it cools it becomes more as expected. My experience is limited to a half dozen tea bag versions, and one or two loose leaf versions.

I really enjoyed the first cup. The second was lighter yet very flavorful.

Visit Two Leaves at http://www.twoleavestea.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment