Sunday, February 17, 2013

Bigelow, Darjeeling

Bigelow Description:
Grown on the foothills of the Himalayas, Darjeeling Tea is known throughout the world as the "champagne of teas". 20 individually foil wrapped tea bags per box.

My Review:
I don't remember ever having this before. This is a bagged tea. I have low expectations even though I used to drink Bigelow Earl Grey by the truckload. I opened the envelope and sniffed. The bag smells fruity and of hay. This is a nice start.

I used just below boiling water and steeped for two minutes per instructions. There was a day when I would have used fully boiling water a minimum of a five minute steep. It would have resulted in a strong bitter cup and I wouldn't have known the difference.

Today I got a cup that is fruity Muscat and earthy. This is really pretty good. I am surprised. Steeped correctly this is not bitter. It is lightly drying.

The problem is the bag. It tastes like someone chopped the edges off. Oh why couldn't this be loose leaf so it would have the depth it deserves? If you use bagged tea on a regular basis or when you are in a hurry, this would be a satisfying choice for lovers of black tea. Bigelow can generally be found at your local grocers.

No comments:

Post a Comment