Thursday, January 19, 2012

Teavivre, Chun Mei Green Tea (Zhen Mei)


This sample is one of 15 provided by Teavivre, a tea distributor located in China.

Pure tea buds and new leaves. The inside of the sample bag is covered in a fine powdery dust. The dry leaf is shiny, grayish looking (very dark green and white mix). This smells of hay and fresh tobacco. I used one spoonful of leaf and steeped at approx 194 F for 30 seconds per instructions.

The wet leaf smells a bit like toast with a non-threatening hint of smoke. The leaf expands into a big loose clump in the bottom of the press reminiscent of a Twinings loose tea. The liquor in the press appears light yellow/green in the low light level of my office. Appears much darker in my cup.

The sip is a balance of light grassiness and smoke. There is also a creaminess to the cup. Sometimes smoke frightens me. Here it really does compliment the green’s flavor. Once again I find I am really liking this offering by Teavivre. As the cup reaches room temperature, I am reminded of the base that Ahmad uses in their Earl Green. I used to love that tea, so it is no wonder this one immediately appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment