Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mountain Tea, Heritage Honey Oolong

Mountain Tea Description:
This oolong was picked at an altitude of 1300m above sea level.  Smooth and sweet with notes of peach, citrus, and sugarcane.

Origin: Nantou, Taiwan

Water: 90°C

My Review:
This is my first experience with Mountain Tea's products. I received a baggie of nuggets from a friend as she was reducing her stash.

Opening the sample bag, this appears to be just another ordinary tightly rolled light green oolong. Not that there is anything wrong with that, or even really ordinary. I took about 5g of leaf nuggets and poured 12oz of heavily steaming water over them in my press. The first steep was 2 1/2 minutes per instructions. The brew was floral and aromatic. The leaf was only partially unfurled. I use a picture of the liquor here instead of the leaf because this is exactly what how the cup looks. Almost clear but slightly yellow tinted.

Sipping reveals a lovely light floral cup. It is sweet and there are notes of citrus. I also detect faint hints of cinnamon. I am not detecting peach yet. This feels creamy. The aftertaste is light. This is no hint of any smoke or roasted taste. Nothing bitter or off. This is a very, very, good first cup.

The second was steeped one minute per instructions. The leaf appears to fill the press while brewing. The scent is green and vegetal. The taste is bolder more floral. I now detect what could be considered peach late in the sip and early in the aftertaste. Floral green oolong flavor lingers long after the sip is over. The second cup is even better than the first.

The third mug brought out what I consider to be more of a traditional oolong taste. This is much lighter than a tieguanyin. It is delightfully floral without overwhelming. The aftertaste really lingers. Each cup is different and each is very good.

This is really an excellent tea!

Visit Mountain Tea online.

No comments:

Post a Comment