Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Republic of Tea, Mango Ceylon

The Republic of Tea Description:
Metabolic Frolic Tea - This favored tea is light, sweet & intoxicatingly fragrant. Mango & sunflower blossoms are blended with superior Black tea leaves to produce an uplifting cup. A favorite retreat for coffee lovers. Wonderful served hot or over ice.

My Review:
This was purchased as an individually wrapped tea bag and not in the tin pictured here. The bag is round and tagless. I heated the water to boiling and mug steeped this for 3 minutes. It produced a dark fragrant brew.

I checked the ingredient list while steeping: Fine black tea, natural mango flavor and sunflowers.

Interesting. I don't recall ever having sunflower as an ingredient.

The sip is light and kind of reminds me of a cross between apple, peach, pear and pine. I can't really tell if the sunflower actually adds anything to the cup. I also just barely taste the black tea. That is a shame. I kind of like this, but...

Once again Republic of Teas refusal to fill the bag with 2g of tea hurts them. Why don't I just use a smaller cup or two bags? Because, I am preparing this the way people in America drink tea - one bag and a mug. This is supposed to be a light tea but it seems a little muted. There is also a little paper taste in this. I drink a lot of bagged teas, so that comment is not me being a snob.

My thought on this one is if you have the loose leaf version where you can control the amount of leaf this would probably be a pretty nice cup. In the bag its drinkable but leaves me wanting more.  It does gain a little more flavor as it cools.

I need to add that I have no idea how long this bag was on the shelf. It is possible the black tea has plenty of flavor and I just didn't get it with this bag. I kind of hope that is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment