Sunday, April 21, 2013

Harney & Sons, Vanilla Comoro

Harney & Sons Description:

Decaf Vanilla Tea! Now you can enjoy our popular dessert tea to your heart's content, and still get a good night's sleep.

My review:
This review is for the loose leaf version of this tea. The picture is a good representation of the leaf's appearance. The brew is a different matter. I'll get to that.

I brewed this twice. The first time with 2g of leaf (about a tea spoon). I used boiling water and a 3 minute steep. The brew looked like the picture.

My review notes at the time said: Maybe the lightest touch of vanilla I have had in a vanilla tea. I liked that – most are overdone. The decaf base is very light bodied. For an evening tea that makes sense. I like it.

For my second time brewing this tea, at the recommendation of a fellow tea drinker, I used 4g or abt 2tsp of leaf. I again used boiling water and a 3 minute steep.

Now the brew looks more like coffee. One might expect a bitter nasty cup. One would be wrong. This is delicious. The vanilla is the main flavor but still more delicate than in most similar teas. There are caramel notes. It feels thick and creamy as I sip. The tea base is so smooth and lightly malty.

This is a very nice tea that happens to be decaffeinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment