Friday, April 5, 2013

The Republic of Tea, Acai Green Tea

The Republic of Tea Description:
One of the most nutritious fruits in the world, the Açaí (ah-sigh-ee) berry, has the rich flavors of concord grape and ripe blueberries. Combined with the crisp flavors of green tea this delicious duo offers a one-two punch of antioxidants. Sip your way to good health with this green tea blend.

My Review:
This is a round tagless tea bag that was individually wrapped in a large square envelope. It was bought as a single sample and did not come in the RoT round tin like pictured. I mention this because it may affect my review. I have no idea how long the envelope was on the shelf or how much heat and light it might have been over-exposed to over time. If my results don't match yours, this may be the explanation.

I opened the envelope and immediately was assaulted by a strong medicinal odor. It smelled fake and was not pleasant. Once I poured water heated to steaming over the bag, the aroma changed to a very nice fruity scent. Yeah!

While it was steeping I looked at the ingredient list printed on the envelope: Fine China green tea, hibiscus, natural flavors, and acai berry bits. Nothing fake listed.

The steep was 2 minutes. The color is kind of bronze purple.

Doing the math based on the Republic of Tea picture - there is 75g of tea in 50 bags, that means one tea bag holds 1.5g. Most American companies use 2g per bag. Often I feel the taste of RoT suffers for this reason. Let's see how this one fares.

There is plenty of flavor, though I cannot taste the green tea. What I do taste is the tartness of hibiscus blending the the fruity flavor of the acai. It is by no means horrible. It does suffer from tasting muffled, whether from the bag, storage, or age I cannot say. It has kind of a paper taste halfway in the sip. The tartness lingers in the aftertaste. Sorry not a fan.

I wish I could be kinder in my review of The Republic of Tea. This is a very popular brand. I just seldom enjoy their offerings. If you do, then simply ignore me and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment