Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bigelow, Green Tea Decaffeinated

Bigelow Description:
Decaffeinated Green Tea offers the same delicious flavor of regular Green Tea in a naturally decaffeinated form. Our natural decaffeination process removes 99.6% of the caffeine without sacrificing flavor or the benefits of green tea.

My Review:
I have enjoyed Bigelow teas for decades. Bigelow was the very first brand of tea that I bought on my own as a teenager. In all those years I have never tried their Green tea. In fact, I don't even recall seeing it until recently.

This is a bagged tea and is decaffeinated. I took a deep whiff of the bag as I removed it from the mylar envelope. I was surprised that it had a nice leafy green aroma. Most unflavored bagged teas have very little scent. Nice start.

I placed the bag in my mug and added steaming but far below boiling water. The steep time was a little over three minutes. The brew was a dark green with golden tint.

The flavor reminded me of Tazo Green Tips but this is more subdued. The decaffeination process takes some of the depth out of this tea. That is going to be true of any decaf tea, so it is not surprising here. Other reviews I have seen claimed some astringency. I did not notice any. I am wondering if they used too hot of a water temperature, or possibly over-steeped. My cup is very smooth.

This is certainly not a bad cup. If you are looking for an inexpensive decaf green tea, this could be it. The closest to a negative I can find is the decaf process, though it has its benefits for late night sipping, does make this a fairly forgettable cup - solid, basic, but kind of beige.

1 comment: