Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Petit Tea, Darjeeling Green

picture credit: Petittea.com
Petit Tea Description:
Darjeeling produces some the finest black and green teas known to the mankind. This lightly oxidized Darjeeling green offers a unique balance between flavor and universally known benefits of green tea.

Sample provided by Petit Tea

My Review:
It is cold and snowing outside today. I am getting cabin fever. Spring cannot arrive soon enough for me. I should be getting my paperwork in order and knock my taxes out but I'm procrastinating. It wouldn't take long but I'd rather sit and sip a cup of tea.

So today I grabbed a green tea made with Darjeeling tea from India. I am showing the box it comes in, but actually mine was part of the Variety Pack that I received for review. In the box are 12 individually wrapped infusers, each containing 2.5 g of leaf.

I have been very pleased with these infusers thus far. They are convenient, quick, and easy to use. Simply place the infuser in hot water, wait 3 minutes and remove. The tea actually tastes like tea. If you are a regular loose leaf drinker you will understand what I mean. There is no paper in the way to rob the leaf inside (not dust - leaf) of the full flavor.

Opening the outer wrap, I gave the infuser the sniff test. I am getting a light grassy scent.

Into the mug. Add water heated to 190 F. The box directions say to use freshly boiled. It also says to steep 3 minutes but I was typing and by the time I got to the mug to remove the infuser, 4 minutes had passed. Oops.

After steeping the brew turns a delicate green. It appears very light. I am not catching a lot of aroma off the mug. Did I make a mistake by not following directions?

The cup cooled to an appropriate drinking temperature for me - which is probably cooler than most people like, but I can't tolerate really hot beverages. On the first sip, I'm not really tasting much. Took a second sip. OK, now I get it. This is a delicate tea. I was for some reason expecting a much bolder tea.

With the second sip, I am getting a mild grassy flavor. It has a citrus like sharpness that does not become so strong that it overwhelms the green tea taste. In part this is due to my over steeping. Regardless, it seems to fit. I am always appreciative of a clean bite.

Halfway through the cup I added some sweetener. It took it well and boosted the flavor a little. I actually preferred it unsweetened, but then I seldom sweeten my tea anymore. It does make the grassy aftertaste fill in and last longer.

My suggestion is use the boiling water and watch the steep time closer than my feeble attempt.  

You can find Petit Tea on Amazon or direct from Petit Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment