Sunday, January 6, 2013

Two Leaves, Tropical Goji Green

Two Leaves Tea Company Description:
We give our traditional Japanese sencha tea leaves a face lift by brewing them with mango pieces and other tropical natural flavors. What results is the sort of tea it's easy to imagine sipping while dipping your toes in the ocean. And here's our little secret: we love it iced too.

Price: $7.95 for 15 sachets. Steep twice for $0.26 per cup.

Part of the Complete Sampler Pack provided by Two Leaves Tea Company.

My Review:
Last year I had my first gojiberry flavored tea. I loved it. I expect great things from this one. I brewed this late in the evening because I thought it was an herbal tea. It is not. It is sencha green tea based. That brings me to my biggest complaint with the Complete Sample Pack from Two Leaves. The outerwrap of each sachet is clear. I like that. I can see the contents, however the printing on the wrap is extremely difficult to read because it is not done in contrasting colors. I think steeping instructions and caffeine content may be on the wrapper but I usually can’t read them. Also there is no ingredient list, hence my current dilemma. Fortunately this one is light in the caffeine department.

I don’t think it is necessary to change the wrappers. If you buy a box of the sachets, all this information should be clearly printed on the box. What would help is to have a printed sheet in the sampler box listing each tea and the important information about it. The majority of people may not care, but I do. Even for those who don’t care, a colorful printed info sheet would help reinforce name recognition. Ok, off my soapbox.

The sachet smells awesome when removed from the wrapper. I used nearly boiling water because I thought this was an herbal and steeped for four minutes because I thought this was an herbal. Apparently I still have a foot on the soapbox. Anyway, the tea did not care I brewed it wrong. It turned out really well. At first I taste gojiberry. Yum. Then I taste the mango. The neat thing is the two blend together so well with the green tea it ends up tasting rather like orange. The sencha separates out a little in the aftertaste so you know it is there. The overheating and long steep did not cause it to turn bitter. I really, really liked this very delicious cup.

Visit the Two Leaves Tea Company website.

No comments:

Post a Comment