Monday, October 12, 2015

Zhi, Ginger and Lime Green Rooibos

Zhi Description:
Zesty and uplifting, this blend is a caffeine-free suprantioxidant treat. Instead of red or fermented rooibos, we use green raw rooibos along with ginger pieces and lime. This is ultra-refreshing as well as being super healthy. Very clean and uplifting with a good ginger hit and cooling lime.

This blend has also proven to be a popular hit as an iced tea. Very cooling and refreshing.

USDA Organic and Fair Trade

Ingredients:
100% Organic green rooibos, organic ginger, organic lemongrass, organic lemon myrtle, organic licorice root, lime and tangerine essentials.

My Review:
My son is here today. He wanted something heavy in caffeine. Actually he wanted to rummage through my stash to see what he might walk off with. My idea. I prepared some Earl Grey Creme for him while he pilfered. D'oh, my idea. I keep forgetting. He found this one by Zhi and said it looked interesting. I have been meaning to review it, so why not.

The resealable pouch is attractively labeled on the front and has more specific information on the back including brewing instructions. My only complaint with the packaging is the clear plastic on the front. Sure, it allows you to view the leaf, but for long term storage clear is not a good idea.

When I opened the bag, I was amazed at the amount of lime scent filling the air. Mixed with the lemon elements it reminded me of Seven Up mixed with lime Kool-Aid. It smells fun.

I have never seen green rooibos before. It is difficult for me to decide what is rooibos and what is lemongrass by looking. It looks like grabbing a handful of grass out in a wild late summer field.

I used 2 heaping tsp of leaf in my stainless brewing basket in a mug of water heated to 205 F. The instructions call for a 6 minute steep. I stopped at 5.

The result is a golden orange brew. It is kind of cloudy. The taste is an interesting intertwining of lime, then lemon, then ginger, flavors. The ginger adds just a touch of heat at the beginning and end, while the lime adds a little cooling at mid sip.

The licorice root adds just enough sweetness without being overly sweet. You could easily add more sweetness if desired without problem.

I think the use of lemongrass combined with lemon myrtle is a good choice. The combination here, simply tastes lemon. Often, the use of these herbs individually tastes like furniture polish to me. Not so here.

The lime is obvious lime. It tastes natural to me. Not candy like.

Possibly my only complaint, I still don't know what green rooibos tastes like. To my ability it blends in so well, I am not sure at what point I am catching its notes. I know I must be sensing it as this mug feels whole and complete. I believe I catch it most as a sweet grassy aftertaste.

I wasn't sure what to expect. This was kind of fun as long as you are a fan of both lime and ginger.

You can find Zhi Ginger and Lime Green Rooibos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment