Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Republic Of Tea, Earl Greyer

Republic Of Tea Description:
More of a Good Thing Tea - Our exceptional Earl Greyer blend combines the lush flavor and exquisite fragrance of the Bergamot Orange, native to Southern Italy, with a lovely Ceylon black tea leaf from Sri Lanka. Recognized as the best tasting Earl Grey available.

My Review:
The 'best tasting Earl Grey available' - seriously? That is a mighty big claim. Let's see if it can even come close to the marketing hype.

This is an individually wrapped round tea bag. Tearing open the envelope, I can smell bergamot before I even remove the bag. The contents of the bag is fine fannings. There is a mere 1.6g in each bag. That is rarely enough to make a good mug of tea. I added boiling water and steeped for 2 1/2 minutes.  Removing the bag shows it has not plump up tremendously, however the cup is sufficiently dark and bergamot scented.

Years ago I tried Green Earl Greyer. It was so heavy on bergamot and so light on tea I did not enjoy it at all. I ended up giving away almost the whole tin. This one is different. On the first sip the black tea is bitter and the bergamot is very light. Once the cup cooled the bitterness mostly disappeared. The bergamot is still too light for my tastes. Many people like a lighter touch on the bergamot so I can accept this may be appeal to some. The bigger issue is this tastes plastic. You know the flavor you sometimes get with milk in a plastic jug. Yeah, it's like that.

Certainly not the best Earl Grey I have had - actually not even close. I am glad I only have one bag of this. If this is a favorite of your's I apologize but this is not my Earl Grey of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment